The trials and tribulations of the renovations of barn and brain in rural Cheshire.....

Tuesday 1 April 2008

It's been a long break

Hello Blog. It's been a long time but here we are, back at the blog-face again. I haven't really felt like baring my soul. The shingles is still hanging around and I'm on a second instalment of medication which, doncha know, increases weight (why are there no pluses to these conditions, only minuses?) so I'm bordering on the size of a small house. Also, as the physical recovery has improved the psychological aspects seem to have grown to mega-proportions, which translates to me finding it really, really hard to come to terms with what's gone before, what's lost and what I have to re-learn. I've really just got to get on with it now and accept that I am, to quote a song, what I am. But the residual limitations still don't cease to surprise/shock/astound me which compounds the acceptance and advancement somewhat. Patience is a virtue I never had and still haven't got!

There are no photographs to accompany tonight's blog because, once again, this laptop has been in hospital. The hard drive corrupted with the loss of all on board. Fortunately, whilst I'm pretty crap at backing up, I did save a load of stuff to disk about a month ago for its last visit to the menders so not too much has disappeared into the ether for all eternity. I got the laptop back yesterday but had problems getting back online which were only resolved after a return trip to the repairers and lengthy phone calls with Scotland and India (router supplier and ISP) to try and resolve the situation. 'Tis now resolved, almost, just got i-tunes to sort so that I can synch the i-pod and catch up on all the podcasts I've been missing. Just what is happening in Ambridge this week?

I'm back in the garden again. A new garden, no less. Well, a new location which is hopefully even more fertile than last year's, which was good at one end and not so good at the other (a bit like me, then!). So far dad and I have sunk into the ground....potatoes; broad beans; spring onions; parsnips; brown onions; white onions; parsnips and garlic. We've also greenhouse-sown cabbages, cauliflower, tomatoes and some other things that I can't remember right now. My memory is appalling, so much so that I can't remember how many rows of broad beans I've sown. I literally do have to watch the space! It's good to be back outside again.

All the animals are fine and well with Carrag, Lucky, Voldemort and Victor laying excellent eggs. We're down to four cats now. Phoebe's gone to live with Hannah and Scott, which left us with Babeski, Biffur and Bertie. Lola (Delius' sister) moved North to live with us but escaped after only 2 days and then Ari arrived and is still here. He's a tortie point Birman just 5 weeks younger than Bertie, with whom he's bonded in a hero-worship way. And not forgetting the ever-faithful houndlets who absolutely hate being out of my sight. They (along with Bertie and Ari) came to Anglesey with us for Easter weekend. We had a bit of a breakthrough on the way home with absolutely no car-sickness whatsoever (and Holly only puked four times on the way there). I think the human travel sickness pills and Bach's Rescue Remedy had something to do with it.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you again. You still write well, whatever your other afflictions.

Anonymous said...

I've had a little more time to digest what you wrote.

For over thirty years I've thought, on and off, about the benefits (or otherwise) of confessional writing. In order to make the art, we have to do it. But I'm not sure, as with my heroine (Sylvia Plath) that it's beneficial -- except to the art (and the readers).

Anonymous said...

A. Shirl materialised here yesterday. Filled us in over her conservatory and birdseed-buying habits.

WE have jays too, and a few white doves. They just get a big pile on the bird table and sort each other out.